Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Plum Jam

This year, our tree made so many plums that we made a ton of jam. Other than pitting all of the plums (this was before I bought my plum pitter), making jam is quite simple.

IMG_5771

When plums are ripe and ready, they tend to have a dull finish to their skin. And these had just come out of the fridge, so that’s why they look a little white; they’re just warming up.

Chopping Plums

Weigh out three pounds of plums; pit; and coarsely chop in a food processor.

IMG_5779

To the chopped plums, add 1/2 cup of water. Bring this mixture to a boil and then turn down and simmer for 5 minutes.

IMG_5786

After the plums have simmered, measure out 4 1/2 cups of the cooked plums.

IMG_5784

Add the 4 1/2 cups of plums to 7 1/2 cups of sugar.

IMG_5787

Bring to a full rolling boil on high heat; stirring constantly.

IMG_5788

Once the sugar and plums are at a full rolling boil, add one pouch of Certo fruit pectin, return to a full boil rolling boil and boil for one minute, stirring constantly.

IMG_5792

After one minute, remove from the heat and pour into prepared jars. Fill 1/8” from the top.

IMG_5793

Prepare your lids and rings and then seal your jars.

IMG_5796

Process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes.

IMG_5800

After 10 minutes, remove the jars and place on a towel to cool overnight. Once the jars have cooled, check each lid to make sure that it has sealed. So far this year, all of my lids for jam have! (Knock on wood!)

Store in a cool, dark place and enjoy!

We’re on our first jar of Plum Jam and it is delicious!

5 comments:

Karen said...

I want to come and visit you one day to see all of your fruit trees and garden. You always have so much fresh stuff - I love it! Of course, you are also always busy working it..... I still never got my small garden here.

Sara said...

Y'all should! It's so hot that we don't have a ton of stuff left. Travis just picked our first small bowl of figs last night, so I'm getting ready for more jam soon!

Teresa Andel said...

Sara,
If you have any plum jam you would like to part with, I LOVE IT!!!

I also love your visuals on the recipes. Perfect!

Kathi D said...

I found your blog because I am searching for a plum pitter! What one did you buy, and how do you like it? I am in the midst of plum jam season and I can't keep up with all the pitting.

Sara said...

Kathi, Glad you found the blog!

I bought an OXO pitter. It's actually a cherry pitter that just happened to work for my plums. We had an overbearing tree, so the fruit tended to be smaller. I would have still bought the OXO brand if my plums were larger because there's a piece on the pitter meant to help hold cherries that could easily be sawed off to accommodate larger fruit.

I hope this helps and I hope you keep stopping by!

Sara