Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Pan Fried Okra

We love fried okra. I don’t love taking the time to deep fry okra for a week day meal, though. Here’s a quick way to get fried okra any day of the week!

IMG_6306

 IMG_6308

Wash the okra.

IMG_6315

Trim both ends of the okra off.

IMG_6316

And cut into pieces.

IMG_6318

You’ll need salt, pepper, and corn meal.

IMG_6321

Sprinkle the okra with salt…

IMG_6325

And stir to coat. I like to cut and salt my okra 30 minutes or so before I need to cook. This allows the natural okra “slime” to come out and the corn meal will adhere to the okra better. If you’re short on time, just sprinkle the okra with a little water before you coat with the cornmeal.

IMG_6338

Add some pepper…

IMG_6339

And enough cornmeal just to coat. I like to add a little, mix, add a little more, mix, and so on until the corn meal won’t hold anymore. That way there’s not a ton wasted on the bottom of the bowl.

IMG_6341

This looks good to me!

IMG_6332

Add some vegetable oil to the skillet. I cut a lot of okra, so I put just enough oil to cover the bottom of the skillet. You just have to watch and add more if necessary. The corn meal will soak up some of the oil, so just keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn.

IMG_6345

Fry, baby, fry! And stir! I like to shake the pan quite a bit to move the okra around without breaking it up too much.

IMG_6346

Taste often! When the okra is tender and has a little color, it’s ready to come off of the heat.

IMG_6347

Serve it up! It’s a nice quick way to have fried okra without all of the fuss of deep frying. I like to save that for the weekend! Haha.

1 comment:

Carol Wall said...

Fantastic! I thought I was the only one who liked okra with cornmeal prepared this way! And the pictures really helped.